Joansa Construction - Page 11
Rick Fletcher - Central Coast NSW Australia
Click the Pic to view Full Size
1. In order to paint the interior some masking was needed.
15th Feb 07
2.The masking was reasonably simple as I was brush coating..
3.The bow seat was masked to allow me to paint the forward section of the planks so that the deck could be added.
4. Brush marks were a problem & this area will need re-sanding and spray painting.
19th Feb 07
5.The rest of the interior was fully masked to allow spraying of the enamel.
6. It took about 6 hours to mask the boat.
7. But the masking time is worthwhile as the spraying only takes about 15 minutes. In this case undercoat.
8. Then the final coats of gloss white. Carelessness cost me more time due to some runs and sagging.
9th Mar 07
9. The deck cross beams are now epoxied in place although the central beam is left free (for later ease of attaching the deck ply).
10. I finally tracked down some used rear wheels off a ride-on mower. These will be made into a dolley to wheel the boat on the beach.
11. Wooden supports for the "truckler".
12. The spine of the trailer part has had a test run on the truck and been modified with additional bracing.
13. The boat finally had a trial run onto the truckler (albeit still with masking everywhere).
14. / 15. /16. The painting inside the hull is virtually complete although some areas will need touching-up.
It could be launched now but I will try to get everything finished except the oars. A purchased pair will have to do for a while. 14th Mar 07
17. I increased the rebate cut on the central deck beam as I was not confident that the ply would have enough gluing area.
18. The 2 sections of ply for the foredeck are planed to fit accurately to the beam ...
19. ... and then epoxied in place with appropriate cramps, weights etc.
20. I wouldn't do it this way again. The stiffness from the deck beam made curving the top difficult. A single piece of ply wood have been more flexible.

24th Mar 07
21. So much pressure was required to curve the ply that it deformed in places.
22. Three coats of epoxy were applied but no top coats as yet. I found the only way I could get a reasonable finish was to roll the epoxy on, hold the roller from turning and then drag it over the surface.
23. The rubbing strakes were shown under construction on Page 9. Here they are shaped and screwed to the gun'l with si/bronze screws.
24. Most of the detail is complete except for the foredeck coaming and deck hardware. The rubbing strake was not glued and was finished in outdoor Organ Oil.
25. She finds her way onto the truckler for the first time.
25th Mar 07
26. Loading was from the building jig which was a little higher than desirable.
27. She's outside and "on" for the first time. A reasonably pleasing experience.
28. The boat can be raised to a horizontal position for long-distance travel.
29. The blocks on the gun'l are for tie-down attachments. The weather has been very poor so hoping for a reasonable day to launch ...
30. Launch Day
The truckler is extended to connect to the building jig ...
31. ...and she is winched onto the truck. Special tie-down blocks fit into the gun'l and 2 simple ties seemed to hold everything in place.
32. Winching off towards its first "swim". The truckler has been extended to help support the boat during launching.
More to come
OzSite Design
  Industrial & Rural Website Specialists